Handling Day Light Savings in Nagios Downtime

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
vlakshman

Handling Day Light Savings in Nagios Downtime

Post by vlakshman »

We have set of servers which have scheduled downtime both during day light savings & on other days.

is there a way in Nagios to handle downtime which works both a) During Day Light Savings & on other days?

I know we have 'exclude' directive which could be used to define DOWNTIME.
We can define checks for Day Light or other days is what I know.

How to define times that handle day light savings is my question
benjaminsmith

Re: Handling Day Light Savings in Nagios Downtime

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello @vlaksham,
is there a way in Nagios to handle downtime which works both a) During Day Light Savings & on other days?
The start/end times will be based on the time of the Nagios server, so you could create separate downtime schedules based upon time zones and adjust the start/stop times.

Let me know if that might work for you or not.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
vlakshman

Post by vlakshman »

Thanks for getting back. My Nagios Server is in UTC & should monitor servers in different time zones which have their own scheduled downtime.

Example: 'Server A' in EST/EDT with it's own downtime. 'Server B' in PST with it's own downtime.

Lets say we have 'Service P' running on 'Server A' which has downtime every wed at 3:00 AM.
How can I monitor this in Nagios during both EST & EDT?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Nagios doesn't have any built-in mechanisms to setup separate timeperiods based on different timezones, everything is based off the server time.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com