Nagios 4.4.5 email alerts with encoding

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ttsvetanov

Nagios 4.4.5 email alerts with encoding

Post by ttsvetanov »

Hello community!

I am using nagios 4.4.5 and i am receiving errors when i add argument with character encoding to my command.

This is the command:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress:$HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\nDuration: $HOSTDURATION$\nAlias: $HOSTALIAS$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$ \n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "**SITE1 $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$" $CONTACTEMAIL$ -a "From: someone <some@mail.com>"
And it's working fine in this way. But when i add -a "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8"" :

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress:$HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\nDuration: $HOSTDURATION$\nAlias: $HOSTALIAS$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$ \n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "**SITE1 $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$" $CONTACTEMAIL$ -a "From: someone <some@mail.com>" -a "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8"
It's not sending any mail. Nagios log gives me:
wproc: stderr line 01: /bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
Any ideas?

Thank you!
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Nagios 4.4.5 email alerts with encoding

Post by Box293 »

What is the actual mail binary?

ls -la /usr/bin/mail
Perhaps instead of:
-a "From: someone <some@mail.com>" -a "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8"

Try:
-a "'From: someone <some@mail.com>'; Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8"

The first troubleshooting test I would do would be from the command line as the nagios user with all the variables expanded out. Basically lets remove Nagios from the equation and test purely the commands.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
ttsvetanov

Post by ttsvetanov »

I am using sendmail.
The command is working fine executed from the command line. With:

-a "'From: someone <some@mail.com>'; Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8"
I receive
stderr line 01: /bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Can you show us the full command and output from the commands we requested.
ttsvetanov wrote:I receive
stderr line 01: /bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
Is this the output when running independently ?

The more detailed information you provide, the quicker your problem can be resolved.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
ttsvetanov

Post by ttsvetanov »

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "текст на кирилица" | /usr/bin/mail -s "proben tekst" -a "'From: anothermail@mail.com <anothermail@mail.com>'; Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8" mymail@mail.com
Successfull received mail, but it's not taking the arguments after -a. The mail is from root@localhost.localdomaine with content "текст на кирилица".

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "текст на кирилица" | /usr/bin/mail -s "proben tekst" -a "From: anothermail@mail.com <anothermail@mail.com>" -a "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8" mymail@mail.com
Successfull received mail with successfull taken argument "From" and "Content-Type".
The mail is from anothermail@mail.com and the content is "текст на кирилица".
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

You need to move the -a arguments before the send to email

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress:$HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\nDuration: $HOSTDURATION$\nAlias: $HOSTALIAS$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$ \n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "**SITE1 $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$" -a "From: someone <some@mail.com>" $CONTACTEMAIL$
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
ttsvetanov

Post by ttsvetanov »

Well i tried with the following command line:

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress:$HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\nDuration: $HOSTDURATION$\nAlias: $HOSTALIAS$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$ \n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "**SITE1 $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$" -a "From: someone@mail.com <someone@mail.com>" -a "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8" $CONTACTEMAIL$
Again no mail with the following in nagios.log:
wproc: stderr line 01: /bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
Again, when i remove
-a "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8"
from the line, i am receiving mails.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Hmm, can I have you try changing it to single quotes

-a 'Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8'
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
ttsvetanov

Post by ttsvetanov »

with

-a 'Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8'
:
[1582317513] EXTERNAL COMMAND: SEND_CUSTOM_HOST_NOTIFICATION;$NameOfTheHost$;0;Nagios Admin;qwww
[1582317528] wproc: Core Worker 16659: job 266 (pid=21826) timed out. Killing it
[1582317528] wproc: CHECK job 266 from worker Core Worker 16659 timed out after 30.01s
[1582317528] wproc: early_timeout=1; exited_ok=0; wait_status=0; error_code=62;
[1582317528] wproc: Core Worker 16659: job 266 (pid=21826): Dormant child reaped
ttsvetanov

Post by ttsvetanov »

Even tried with:

command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Здрасти, това тук е тестов текст на кирилица, изпратен от NAGIOS CGI." | /usr/bin/mail -a "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8" -s "Заглавие на тестовия мейл"
And again i received unterminated quoted string...