NRPE without xinetd?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
nagisami

NRPE without xinetd?

Post by nagisami »

Hello,

In NRPE 3.2.1, I see it has "TCP Wrapper Available". In this case, there is no need of xinetd right? If that's right, how does NRPE provide TCP wrapper support of its own?

Please advise.

Thanks
nagisami

Re: NRPE without xinetd?

Post by nagisami »

/etc/hosts.*. files should be supported in that case I think. I just tried adding a few hosts in /etc/hosts.allow but nrpe daemon as a systemd service ( not running under xinetd) says it is not allowed to talk to us.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

when running under systemd, you need to add the allowed hosts in the nrpe.cfg
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
nagisami

Post by nagisami »

Ok since I wanted to make use the TCP wrapper, I had hosts updated in the /etc/hosts.allow. I also had the "allowed_hosts" setting which was making NRPE to look as a first option. Per readme in the cfg it is supposed to ignore this setting but it wasn't. After commenting out the setting, it worked okay.

Thanks
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

nagisami wrote:Ok since I wanted to make use the TCP wrapper, I had hosts updated in the /etc/hosts.allow. I also had the "allowed_hosts" setting which was making NRPE to look as a first option. Per readme in the cfg it is supposed to ignore this setting but it wasn't. After commenting out the setting, it worked okay.

Thanks
Great!

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com