Migrate the Performance Data

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
amitgupta19

Migrate the Performance Data

Post by amitgupta19 »

I have recently migrated the Nagios from one server to another server.

Previous version of the Nagios was 4.4.3 and now upgraded to the 4.4.5

How can i migrate the Performance Data from the previous server to the new server?

So that we can pull the performance reports as and when required.
amitgupta19

Re: Migrate the Performance Data

Post by amitgupta19 »

Can anyone please suggest on this?
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

HI,

Glad to hear the upgrade was a success. We have a guide on our knowledgebase on this procedure for XI, that's our enterprise monitoring product, and while I'm not sure how you are using Nagios Core, the same steps will likely work on your system. Be sure to take backup or VM snapshot before making any changes to the new server.

Nagios XI - Migrate Performance Data

Good Luck!

Benjamin
Nagios Support Team
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
amitgupta19

Post by amitgupta19 »

Thanks Benjamin,

The steps that are given are for Migrating the Data from the 32 bit to the 64 bit server.

But my both the servers are 64 bit servers.
Centos 7 to OEL 7 .

Kindly suggest.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

If both servers are 64 bit, you may be able to copy the rrd and xml files over to the new server without having to convert them.

I would just try one or 2 services to see if they function.

Couple of things that could cause just copying the files to not work.
If the libraries and tools are different enough on the new server, that could cause the rrd and xml files to not be compatible.
Second, the performance output for the checks have to match exactly between the servers. Any differences, the rrd files will not update on the new server.
amitgupta19

Post by amitgupta19 »

How to ensure the below:

If the libraries and tools are different enough on the new server, that could cause the rrd and xml files to not be compatible.
Second, the performance output for the checks have to match exactly between the servers. Any differences, the rrd files will not update on the new server.

Also i would like to tell you that i have already everything migrated the monitoring to the new server. So i need to ensure that data that new server has should not create any issues?

Also how to ensure that, data we migrate to the new server should get merged with the new data.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

The simplest way to test it is to migrate one service check's rrd and xml file to the new system and see if it updates.
If it does, then you know it is compatible and not creating any errors.

Your last question in the merging of the data.
If the old server is not running anymore and had old performance data and the new server has current performance data, then you cannot over write the data from the old server to the new as this will lose data.
To merge the data between the servers is a manual process. You would have to export the data on both server as xml data, combine the 2 files in to one file after removing the unneeded data manually and then convert them to rrd files again.

Search the internet to see if you can find a tool that can merge the rrd data for you. There are some out there that could work.