check_nrpe to Windows NSClient++ Not Working

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
soroush.nazemi

check_nrpe to Windows NSClient++ Not Working

Post by soroush.nazemi »

Hi,

I installed Nagios Core 4.4.5 on Ubuntu 18.04, with Nagios plugins 2.3.3 and check_nrpe plug version 4.0.3. I also have a Windows OS host on my network with NSClient++ (nscp) version 5.2.35. I enabled NRPE server on that Windows machine successfully and I'm able to run check_nrpe both from that same Windows machine, or from another Windows machine on the network that has similar NSClient++ version installed. Also confirmed and the firewall rules are allowed for both Windows machines and the Nagios server.

Following is the results I get from both Windows machines (i.e. when I run the command manually on Win_Server_A, or if I run the command on another Windows machine to the NRPE of Win_Server_A)

Code: Select all

c:\>check_nrpe -H Win_Server_A --command check_service "filter=name in ('nscp')"
OK: All 1 service(s) are ok.

However when I run the same command from the Nagios Server I get the following error. I also tried the same command using the -A key to use the ca.pem file manually but got the same results.

user@nagios_server:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_nrpe -H Win_Server_A --command check_service "filter=name in ('nscp')"
CHECK_NRPE: (ssl_err != 5) Error - Could not complete SSL handshake with 192.168.1.2: 1

Following is the NRPE Server section of my nsclient.ini file on the Windows server.

[/settings/NRPE/server]
allow arguments=true
allow nasty characters=true
allowed ciphers=ALL:!ADH:!LOW:!EXP:!MD5:@STRENGTH
allowed hosts=127.0.0.1,192.160.1.100
ca=${certificate-path}/ca.pem
certificate=${certificate-path}/certificate.pem
certificate format=PEM
dh=${certificate-path}/nrpe_dh_512.pem
extended response=true
insecure=false
payload length=1024
performance data=true
port=5666
socket queue size=0
thread pool=10
timeout=30
use ssl=true
verify mode=none
Any idea why both the Windows machines can respond to each others check_nrpe comands, while the Nagios Linux server cannot? What's needed in the Linux/Nagios server to be able to do the handshake?

Thank you!