Hello 0 new user to core - snmp traps

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
hachmeis

Hello 0 new user to core - snmp traps

Post by hachmeis »

Hi,

I am setting up core for the first time and have it up and running OK. Email sends out alerts and I have it monitoring some switches and firewalls.

The next step is configuring it to accept snmp traps and email alerts accordingly.

I have been looking at the various options of plugins and add-ons and was hoping to get some recommendations about the best way to do this. I realize this is somewhat subjective but I'm just looking for a solution that is fairly simple and straightforward.

Thanks!!

Peter
gormank

Re: Hello 0 new user to core - snmp traps

Post by gormank »

I use Nagios XI so I can't get too specific about core. Here's a link.
I think a fairly typical path is snmptrapd listens and receives traps, hands them off to SNMPTT, which creates commands in Nagios tht update the status of the trap service in Nagios.
You'll need to set up the trap sender hosts to send traps to the Nagios host, install the device MIBs in the Nagios host and define the device hosts in Nagios and define an SNMP trap service in Nagios.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ptrap.html