timeperiod not working ..

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
rleon

timeperiod not working ..

Post by rleon »

Hi everyone

Coming from a xymon / hobbit user
I just installed nagios core for the first time .. and i have to say I LOVE it so far.

Just need to get used to how it works but its doing the job and its user friendly.

However I am having issues with the timeperiod parameter.

I have searched tried .. restarted etc and still my timeperiods are not working as expected ..
I am guessing I have a config issue going on or what I am expect to see is wrong.

I defined a timeperoid in timeperiods.cfg ..
This is set up to only check from 5am to 530am .. once a day monday - friday.

Code: Select all

define timeperiod {

name                    ilo-time-slots
    timeperiod_name         ilo-time-slots
    alias                   iLO Time Slots
    monday                  05:00-05:30
    tuesday                 05:00-05:30
    wednesday               05:00-05:30
    thursday                05:00-05:30
    friday                  05:00-05:30

}

I have the time period specified like so.

define host {

name                            linux-ilo             ; The name of this host template
    use                             generic-host          ; This template inherits other values from the generic-host template
    check_period                    ilo-time-slots        ; By default, Linux hosts are checked round the clock
    check_interval                  25                    ; Actively check the host every 5 minutes
    retry_interval                  30                    ; Schedule host check retries at 1 minute intervals
    max_check_attempts              1                     ; Check each Linux host 10 times (max)
    check_command                   check-host-alive      ; Default command to check Linux hosts
    notification_period             ilo-time-slots             ; Linux admins hate to be woken up, so we only notify during the day
                                                          ; Note that the notification_period variable is being overridden from
                                                          ; the value that is inherited from the generic-host template!
    notification_interval           120                   ; Resend notifications every 2 hours
    notification_options            d,u,r                 ; Only send notifications for specific host states
    contact_groups                  admins                ; Notifications get sent to the admins by default
    register                        0                     ; DON'T REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
}

when I look at the host it says
Next Scheduled Active Check: 06-16-2020 12:01:39

I am expecting it to say 5am per the time period.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Looking forward to getting to know nagios and the rest of the nagios community.
rleon

Re: timeperiod not working ..

Post by rleon »

I also updated this .. to 1 and didnt see any difference.

(wasnt too clear what it did.)

# USE RETAINED SCHEDULING INFO
# This setting determines whether or not Nagios will retain
# the scheduling info (next check time) for hosts and services
# based on the values saved in the retention file.  If you
# If you want to use retained scheduling info, set this
# value to 1.  If not, set this value to 0.

use_retained_scheduling_info=1