Passive checks vs Active checks

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
aovidi

Passive checks vs Active checks

Post by aovidi »

Hi guys,
I have Nagios 3.2.0 monitoring a large number of host and services (2k services).
Almost all of them are passive checks posting their service status directly on the cmd file using a custom application.
The status of these services is posted each 2 minutes in huge blocks all at the same time.
Then I have a little group of active checks scheduled each 3/4 minutes.
Looking at Nagios the status of passive checks is always up to date while active checks are almost never been executed (often I see next scheduled check in the past, in 1970...)
I have tried almost everything using the tuning options, cache, timeouts, also diabling the interleave factor.
It seems that when the number of passive checks posting is over a certain threshold... bye bye to active checks.

Any suggestion?
It's really frustrating. Can I give priority to active checks against external commands?

Thanks,
Angelo
aovidi

Re: Passive checks vs Active checks

Post by aovidi »

I found an answer RTFM: "Each time Nagios checks for external commands it will read and process all commands present in the command file before continuing on with its other duties."
So if you have a lot of stuff processed as external commands Nagios scheduler will go crazy since all the external command have higher priority against checks.

Regards,
Angelo