NagiosXI on HA (active passive) / Failover

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
prashanthan1987

NagiosXI on HA (active passive) / Failover

Post by prashanthan1987 »

Hi,

We are looking for a solution to build NagiosXI on HA (active-passive) / Failover. Please suggest.

1. Do NagiosXI support HA (active-passive) / Failover?

2. What if we need to use HA activate active solution?

3. What is the use of the Backup License provided with NagiosXI? how does it work? Can I use this for backup restoration on a separate server? does this support to restore the backup from secondary to the Production node?
gormank

Re: NagiosXI on HA (active passive) / Failover

Post by gormank »

This is not an answer from Nagios, just my understanding as a customer...
Nagios as far as I know doesn't offer an HA solution but there is a 3rd party solution you can search the internet for.
As far as I know, the NXI license is for active/passive.
My understanding is that the test license is for a test/development environment that doesn't do active monitoring.

What I do with a few scripts is back up the primary system, copy it to the failover, rcopy various files to the failover, restore the system on the failover, and restart services. All this can be done pretty easily and run via cron or a service in Nagios.
Active service checks and notifications are disabled on the failover host.
To fail over, stop nagios, etc. on the primary, disable the copies to the failover, and enable active checks and notifications on the failover.

This isn't true HA nor is it realtime as some have mentioned, but it works and I've used it for a long time.
benjaminsmith

Re: NagiosXI on HA (active passive) / Failover

Post by benjaminsmith »

Thanks @gormank!

That's right, we do not have HA solution in XI right. If you're looking for a supported HA option, the folks at Linbit have put this together using their DRBD software.

https://www.linbit.com/tech-guide/ha-na ... -on-rhel7/
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!