How to change host check time to every second ?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
haseebraza

How to change host check time to every second ?

Post by haseebraza »

Hi folks, as you always doing great by helping others once again i need help in tiny matter !!!
I have added switches and routers to nagios core 4.46 but i was able to reduce to host check time to every 15 second.
Can we change this to lower value in seconds like every second ?
is_kim

Re: How to change host check time to every second ?

Post by is_kim »

Hi,

As far I know Nagios was built to run checks every minute. I know some situations you'd like to reduce this time between checks, but I think the purpose of Nagios was not meant to be a real-time monitoring. Of course, you can use passive checks to deploy results with less than one minute (because Nagios is awaiting to receive this data), but I don't know if the log generation will work properly, specially when you want to generate Trends/Availability Reports.

I hope this helps you. If not, I suggest you take a look at the documentation ; )
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... core/4/en/
Rfferrao13

Post by Rfferrao13 »

Yes, you can -- although, as pointed by @is_kim, Nagios may not be able to handle it properly (and/or even keep up with it if there's a large amount of checks running at once). The interval_length option in nagios.cfg is used with the time interval specification for the object configuration files.

As per the Main Configuration File Options documentation (https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... gmain.html):
Timing Interval Length

Format: interval_length=<seconds>
Example: interval_length=60

This is the number of seconds per "unit interval" used for timing in the scheduling queue, re-notifications, etc. "Units intervals" are used in the object configuration file to determine how often to run a service check, how often to re-notify a contact, etc.

Important: The default value for this is set to 60, which means that a "unit value" of 1 in the object configuration file will mean 60 seconds (1 minute). I have not really tested other values for this variable, so proceed at your own risk if you decide to do so!
haseebraza

Post by haseebraza »

Really appreciated for your help, i am able to change the check_host and check_ping time to 15 sec.
if i go down then it produces some unknown issue like some times it gives duration of 7 second then 15 then 8 then 20+.
So i think 15 sec is enough.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

haseebraza wrote:Really appreciated for your help, i am able to change the check_host and check_ping time to 15 sec.
if i go down then it produces some unknown issue like some times it gives duration of 7 second then 15 then 8 then 20+.
So i think 15 sec is enough.
Glad to see it is solved

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com