Service dependency problems

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
TSCAdmin

Service dependency problems

Post by TSCAdmin »

I'm having a bit of a problem with how the service dependencies work in Nagios. Essentially, I'm using SNMP to perform things like process checks and disk availability checks. So what I've done is made those services dependent on the SNMP service. Here's an example config from the /usr/local/nagios/etc/servicedependencies.cfg file:

Code: Select all

define servicedependency {
       dependent_host_name                      gb-doc-svb-0060
       dependent_service_description            atd,Cron,Disk Monitor,SSH,VAS,VAS GP
       host_name                                gb-doc-svb-0060
       service_description                      SNMP
       inherits_parent                          1
       execution_failure_criteria               w
       notification_failure_criteria            w,u,c

}
Seems pretty straightforward ... atd, cron, disk monitor, ssh, vas, vasgp all depend on the SNMP service (since all of those services use SNMP to perform the check). What I thought it would be doing is instantiating an active check against the "host_name/service_description" when one of the "dependent_host_name/dependent_service_description" checks failed.

What I'm seeing is it looks like the dependent service is validating against the current state of the parent service. So the dependent service notifications are going through, despite the fact that the parent service really is unresponsive. It just hasn't performed the check yet for the parent service.

To run through a chain of events using a timed example (all services are on 5 minute timers):

Code: Select all

00:00 - Cron OK
00:10 - atd OK
00:15 - SNMP OK
00:20 - Disk Monitor OK
00:30 - SSH OK
00:40 - VAS OK
00:50 - VAS GP OK
04:30 - SNMP service crashes
05:00 - Cron Critical - Notification Sent
05:10 - atd Critical - Notification Sent
05:15 - SNMP Critical - Notification Sent
05:20 - Disk Monitor - Notification Suppressed
05:30 - SSH - Notification Suppressed
05:40 - VAS - Notification Suppressed
05:50 - VAS GP - Notification Suppressed
Am I missing some configuration item that will make the service dependencies behave the way I want? Or is this not something nagios can do at this time?
ebdavison

Re: Service dependency problems

Post by ebdavison »

Did you ever get an answer to this or resolve your issue?