problem with Core after os upgrade

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
vinmansbrew

problem with Core after os upgrade

Post by vinmansbrew »

Running older nagios 4.0.1 on a rhel 6.10 server
So, I just tried to upgrade the os from 6.10 to 7.9, just to give me a little time to get a newer version of nagios, ect.

Upgrade itself goes fine, I find the jump from 6 to 7 is pretty simple and usually reliable.
In this case, nagios ends up not liking something. I end up with logs piling up with errors for all the devices that are monitored.
Usually saying something like " error #, this is likely because the plugin does not exist.

I am guessing it is either something with python or perl.

Any thoughts on this?
Grunskin

Re: problem with Core after os upgrade

Post by Grunskin »

You won't get a reliable answer unless you post som error logs. Otherwise we have nothing to go on more than that it is saying "error", and that doesn't say much.
vinmansbrew

Post by vinmansbrew »

Well, it's a vm, and I only had so much time with it. SO I had to revert to the snapshot I made.
I am more looking to see what perl/python files/directories I should backup.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

Plugin compatibility issues are pretty common to encounter with major OS upgrades. If you have any plugins that weren't installed via repositories configured in the OS's package manager, assume they're going to break when you do a major OS upgrade.

If you're using the official nagios-plugins suite, the C libraries those depend upon are often totally different between major OS releases. If you've installed these via package manager, I would think you should be fine with a simple update via the package manager. If you compiled them from source, you'll probably need to re-compile them.
I am more looking to see what perl/python files/directories I should backup.
It depends on the specific plugins you're using. Just packing up your entire Python/Perl installation directories, or your entire plugins directory, isn't always a comprehensive solution.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
vinmansbrew

Post by vinmansbrew »

That's good info, mcapra. As I never set up the nagios on this server, I have no idea how it was initially done. Is there a way to tell?
I'll have to see what I can do with the C libraries.
Otherwise, I am thinking that I might just need to reinstall Core, and configure.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

vinmansbrew wrote:That's good info, mcapra. As I never set up the nagios on this server, I have no idea how it was initially done. Is there a way to tell?
You could query the package manager. If there are no nagios flavored packages present, it was all probably compiled from scratch.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/