Geo Mapping and Pulling My Hair Out

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
EnderXncdr

Geo Mapping and Pulling My Hair Out

Post by EnderXncdr »

I am probably overthinking the whole thing as I try to install this. I am running Ubuntu 18.04LTS with Nagios Core 4.4.6 (Eventually this will be placed onto an Nagios XI system). I also am using Nagvis 1.9 for mapping.

I desire to be able to build a map that will automatically populate the hosts onto the map using Longitude and Latitude (Nagvis only does manual for now). The coordinates of each PC actually come in as a Service in the form of Lat,Long using NRDP. From there, I could probably use Nagios Macros to grab the service description and link it to a map. I am sure someone figured out how to do this. I am a bit of an amateur when it comes to Linux.

I see something promising potentially with using sqlite and worldmap.db but I have smashed my head through the wall after beating against it for a week and feel dumb. NagMapReborn project from Github looks promising too, but I cannot get it to work for some reason (could be because it says in the Nagios Exchange it is written for Nagios 3.x).
EnderXncdr

Re: Geo Mapping and Pulling My Hair Out

Post by EnderXncdr »

So I figured this out by writing a shell script to use sqlite3 to connect to the worldmap.db file used by Nagvis to post coordinates onto the map automatically. This script is run as an event handler as one of the service checks is simply posting the coordinates. The service may bounce back and forth between Unknown Status (offline) and OK Status.

However, now I am running into this issue. The script works flawlessly if I run it as myself. However, it does not run as an event handler. I see no logs of it in the Event Log or anything.