Permissions after migrating from Nagios 3 to 4

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Horst

Permissions after migrating from Nagios 3 to 4

Post by Horst »

Hi everybody,

I've recently noticed that after migrating my config from Nagios 3 to 4 on Debian I'm getting this error when trying to view 2 hosts:

Code: Select all

It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for this host...
I can't even see them in the hosts list. I can only get there by going through the services page and clicking the host.

After a while of digging I found that I had selected another host template for those. The goal was to get an sms for those instead of an email (makes sense for the mailserver in particular).

In the past I had solved my problem by creating duplicate users (with a suffix to the user name) that be able to set different values for
host_notification_commands
and
service_notification_commands

Those additional users are bundled in additional groups. The host-template then has different contact_groups. That's how I control through which channel a notification goes.

Now that worked fine for Nagios 3, but since going to 4 it looks like I cannot even view those hosts on the webpage anymore when being logged in. I assume that's because the host is assigned to a group which only has the user myUsername-sms instead of the one I'm logged in with: myUsername

In general: Is there a nicer principle to configure that?
If not - would you have any idea how to fix my problem?
Horst

Re: Permissions after migrating from Nagios 3 to 4

Post by Horst »

I wasn't able to solve my problem, but at least work around it.

In the host_templates_nagios2.cfg file I now have this for hosts where I want something other than an email:

Code: Select all

contact_groups                  admins-sms,admins
Through this I will still get an email, but also the intented channel (here: SMS). And additionally I can view those entries with my normal account on the webpage.