Monitoring RHEL 3 - Nagios Core

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Hij4ck

Monitoring RHEL 3 - Nagios Core

Post by Hij4ck »

Hello everybody,

This is my first topic, i'm very new to Nagios but i really enjoy it !

I'm actually a trainee, and my project is to setup Nagios Core and monitor some machines.

I've setup NagiosCore properly on a CentOS 8, actually monitoring 4 Windows Hosts with Nsclient++.

My problem is that i need to monitor a RHEL 3 machine, which is not connected to internet for security reasons.

My first through was to use NRPE to monitor the RHEL 3 machine, but I can't find the proper package for RHEL 3 ( Nagios-plugins / NRPE ).

I was down to follow this guide https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/c ... %20More%20

Since it's not connected to Internet, i can't download packages from yum, or any packages installer.

Can someone help me ? I'm down to go in a rabbit hole if it's needed
pbroste

Re: Monitoring RHEL 3 - Nagios Core

Post by pbroste »

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out; I understand that you would like to monitor your RHEL 3 with Nagios Core without internet access.

We suggest monitoring this host using 'check_by_ssh' using ssh network connection between the server and RHEL 3 host. I take it, that even though the RHEL 3 device does not have access to the internet due to security reasons, it still has intranet/LAN connectivity. If this is the case, then 'check_by_ssh' would function using plugins found in the /usr/local/nagios/libexec/ library.

Here is the support article that I would like to reference:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagiosxi/docs/Monitoring_Hosts_Using_SSH.pdf

Thanks,
Perry
Hij4ck

Post by Hij4ck »

Hello, thanks for the fast answer !

Yes, the RHEL 3 device has intranet connectivity.

I'm down to try check_by_ssh, but as i mentioned earlier, the RHEL 3 device can't get packages, and they seems needed in the support article you mentioned.

"Before you can use the check_by_ssh plugin, you must install/configure the following on the remote Linux/Unix server you want to monitor:
• Create a nagios user
• Install Nagios plugins and/or monitoring scripts
• Install and configure the SSH daemon"

I thinked of a manual installation of nagios plugins on RHEL 3, but didn't find one.

I will try the method Monday in any case.

Thanks for the help
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello,

Yes, you are correct that you can use any one of these Nagios Plugins found on the exchange or create a bash/sh script without the need to installing anything else.

Here are some examples:
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -H 192.168.23.200 -l root -C /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_uptime
Uptime OK: 1 day(s) 8 hour(s) 15 minute(s) | uptime=1935.000000;;;
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -H 192.168.23.200 -l root -C /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_yum
YUM WARNING: O/S requires an update.
Thanks,
Perry
Hij4ck

Post by Hij4ck »

Thanks, i can finally monitor my RHEL3 machine using check_by_ssh.

You can close this thread, thanks again !