Dell R910 Monitoring

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Scratchmang

Dell R910 Monitoring

Post by Scratchmang »

Hey everyone,

OK, so first off, I'm a windows guy at heart, so a lot of the configuring and adding of plugins, 'pip' etc are rather confusing to me (And I'll not even get into the horror of 'vi') but there you go, so please, type really slowly when replying as I'm slow ok :P

So here's the deal, I've got a Dell R910 in the house for my own entertainment, 4 Processors, 256 Gig of ram and 18 HDD's in a RAID 5 Configuration running ESXi 6.5. There's and iDRAC v6 in there too. About a month ago one of the processors went south, I say 'about' as with nothing monitoring it I have no idea when it really went, I just noticed the front panel flashing orange at me the other day when I was in the 'Server Room'. Long story short I replaced the CPU and all is well but it got me to thinking that I really need something to monitor the CPU's, Memory and more importantly the 8 individual HDD's in case one of them fails sometime in the future. Of course if I get this all running it will never happen but that's a whole different battle with Murphy and his Law's....

Anyway I downloaded the NagiosXI ova (nagiosxi-5.8.7-64.ova) file and installed it on the Server and got to configuring. Managed to get it doing 'some' SNMP monitoring but it's not really giving me what I want which as mentioned is checking the CPU's, memory and Disks in the RAID array. I've downloaded the Dell R910 plugin and all the associated MIB's tried doing SNMP walks, adding whatever I could, but to no avail. I'm at the limits of my technical expertise for this. SO I'm turning tot he 'Hive Mind'; here in the hopes that someone may have some insight as to how to get it to show me what I'm after....

For simplicity sake, here's a bit of a breakdown of the setup, which in and oif itself may be wrong, who knows...

Dell R910, ESXi Server on IP - 192.168.42.127
vCenter Server on IP - 192.1368.42.128
Dell iDRAC v6 on IP - 192.168.42.129
-- From what I can tell the iDRAC is not the enterprise version, or at least not registered / licensed / activate as such.
NagiosXI Install on IP - 192.168.42.15

Installed Modules (Plugins?)
Dell_EMC_OpenManage_Plugin_v3.1_Nagios_XI_A00.tar.gz
- Contained - Dell_EMC_OM_NagiosXI_monitoring_wizard.zip - A Dell specific monitoring plugin
VMware-vSphere-Perl-SDK-7.0.0-17698549.x86_64.tar.gz - This I had to ''pip' in it was successful but did not seem to help at all.
dellopenmanage.zip - A Dell specific monitoring plugin
Dell-OM-MIBS-850_A00.zip (MIB's)
DCMIB65.zip (Another set of MIB's)

I've pointed NagiosXI at each of theses IP's individually using the Configuration Modules of "SNMP" and the 'DELL iDRAC' with limited success, some things report back, like Uptime (Really useful) and responses back form the vCenter IP will show me the different VM's I have running, but that's really not what I'm after here. Really all I want is CPU 1-4 OK or Bad, Memory slot "X" Good or Bad, and Physical Disk 1-8 Good or Bad.

I have been playing around with some other SNMP Monitoring solutions, most notable an On-Line one called Site24x7 which did give me a breakdown of all the individual drives as to how I'm unsure, so I know it is possible, however do to the costs of Site24x7 I would prefer to use NagiosXI if at all possible.

So, and thoughts or insights form the Hive mind? And please remember type slowly when you reply eh?

Thanks in advance.

Scratch
Alberta, Canada.