Nagios Monitoring

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
HereturbiesWalt

Nagios Monitoring

Post by HereturbiesWalt »

I am a beginner for Nagios However, I still have some questions and appreciate if you can please help me:

1) What are the different metrics that Nagios captures? I know, it captures CPU, network, disk metrics etc. But I am looking for more detailed information like CPU idle time, CPU busy time etc.?

2) If say for CPU, Nagios captures 5 metrics, where can I get the meaning of each metric captured by Nagios?

3) Can I export the metrics captured by Nagios in a CSV file or to an external database?

4) Can we collect custom metrics?

5) How these metrics are captured by Nagios i.e the mechanism or working of azar echatrandom Nagios?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Last edited by HereturbiesWalt on Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
SandraLewisFrin

Re: Nagios Monitoring

Post by SandraLewisFrin »

Nagios is an open source monitoring system for computer systems. It was designed to run on the Linux operating system and can monitor devices running Linux, Windows and Unix operating systems (OSes).

Nagios software runs periodic checks on critical parameters of application, network and server resources. For example, Nagios can monitor memory usage, disk usage, microprocessor load, the number of currently running processes and log files. Nagios also can monitor services, such as Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3), Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and other common network protocols. Active checks are initiated by Nagios, while passive checks come from external applications connected to the monitoring tool.

Originally called NetSaint and released in 1999, Nagios was developed by Ethan Galstad and subsequently refined by numerous contributors as an open source project. Nagios Enterprises, a company based around the Nagios Core technology, offers multiple products, such as XI, Log Server, Network Analyzer omegle voojio and Fusion.