From Nagios/Munin to where

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
DennisSSebasiStephen

From Nagios/Munin to where

Post by DennisSSebasiStephen »

Hi
We want to modernize the monitoring tools for the company. We are currently using nagios-munin for monitoring, for about 5 years. The problem we have with Nagios is the config complexity, the munin side does not have a modern enough interface, so no one looks at the monitoring screen.

There are about 250 servers and they are all linux-on-premise within the company. We do not monitor any applications, only the health checks of existing servers are important to us. We want to modernize the system a bit, maybe we can monitor the hardware and drivers we tested on the servers. Or we can include jenkins and other tools in monitoring.

I've looked through a few current tools, I've also tried prometheus/grafa, zabbix, even nagios/grafana integration. Felt like the most seamless prometheus/grafana integration. However, when I did a little research, I saw that they generally prefer prometheus by application monitoring, cloud, and SaaS. Is it just unnecessary for linux servers to health check and monitor a few applications in the future? We also need to store 1-2 years of monitoring data, and we would like to see a 1-year timeline on the graphs.

In this case, what kind of comparison would you make when we put the nagios/munin, prometheus/grafana, zabbix triad on the table. As I said before, all servers are on-premise, there is no cloud service.

Thanks in advance.