Nagios XI NCPA passive checks

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
g4semit

Nagios XI NCPA passive checks

Post by g4semit »

I am new to Nagios and am looking for some help with NCPA passive checks on windows servers. I am looking at monitoring a number of services using NCPA passive monitoring. The NCPA config file is reporting into Nagios XI. I just need to know the commands to monitoring a service if it is started or stopped. Then report Critical
SandraLewisFrin

Re: Nagios XI NCPA passive checks

Post by SandraLewisFrin »

Passive helps if there is a firewall between your Nagios server and the machines you want to monitor AND that firewall prevents incoming connections. In that case you can just send passive results out to your Nagios server.

Some people think active checks are easier, because you don't have to configure what happens if you don't get the passive check. Did you not get the passive check because the host is down? Do you alert on not receiving the expected passive check?

Active checks are more resource intensive on your Nagios server, so if you are trying to squeeze more performance out over lots and lots of checks, you can move to passive. That won't apply in your case omegle shagle, though.