We've moved to a new support system!

The Nagios Answer Hub is a place where you can get help with technical questions from our experts. There, you can quickly open tickets and join discussion boards.

Request Nagios Answer Hub access here: https://info.nagios.com/answer-hub-access-new-users

After completing the access form, you will be given access to a portal where new tickets can be created. We will keep the old customer forum sections and ticket system available for current cases to be resolved.

Go to the Answer Hub

simulate nagios notifications

Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Includes Nagios Core, Plugins, and NCPA

simulate nagios notifications

Postby ClaudeSj456 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:15 pm

Hi
My normal method of testing the notification and escalation chain is to simulate a failure by causing one, for example blocking a port.

But this is thoroughly unsatisfying. I don't want down time recorded in nagios where there was none. I also don't want to wait.

Does anyone know a way to test a notification chain without causing the outage? For example something like this:

$ ./check_notifications_chain <service|host> <time down>
at <x> minutes notification email sent to group <people>
at <2x> minutes notification email sent to group <people>
at <3x> minutes escalated to group <management>
at <200x> rm -rf; shutdown -h now executed.
Extending this paradigm I might make the notification chain a nagios check in itself, but I'll stop here before my brain omegle voojio explodes.

Anyone?
ClaudeSj456

Return to Community Support