WMI authentication failures

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
RCIJoe

WMI authentication failures

Post by RCIJoe »

We've use WMI for monitoring with Nagios for years and never had any issues. Just this week I've had 3 servers failing WMI query with the following error

"UNKNOWN - The WMI query had problems. You might have your username/password wrong or the user's access level is too low. Wmic error text on the next line."

I followed several posts on how to resolve and none have worked. Since this just started I wonder if a Windows update is causing this.
freale

Re: WMI authentication failures

Post by freale »

We are having the same issue as of today 6/16/22. Only to servers that were in our beta group for windows patching. All other servers are fine. Wondering if anyone else is having issues.
stepper

Post by stepper »

We are also seeing this today after applying KB5014702 after rolling back on one of the servers the problem goes away so it does seem to be an issue with this KB and WMI checking. I do not see anything in the new support forum regarding this issue so wondered if it would be looked into
MHuman

Post by MHuman »

Bump - i just reported the same issue after reboots and new round of updates.
prodced

Post by prodced »

Hello,

Hello,

We also solved our problem by applying the registry key shown in this KB from Microsoft.
In 2023 the problem is likely to recur as indicated in the same KB

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... ed901c769c
stepper

Post by stepper »

We worked around ours by disabling the check_xi_service_wmiplus service checks and creating new ones that call a PS1 file using check_xi_ncpa