How do I use Nagios to monitor a log file

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
HarengaWoltraz

How do I use Nagios to monitor a log file

Post by HarengaWoltraz »

We are using Nagios to monitor our network with great success. However, we have a syslog for critical application errors and while I set up check_log, it doesn't seem to work as well as omegle.2yu.co monitoring a device.

The issues are:

It only shows the last entry
There doesn't seem to be a way to acknowledge the critical error and return the monitor to a good state
Is nagios the wrong tool, or are we just not setting up the service monitoring right?

Here are my entries

# log file
define command{
command_name check_log
command_line omeglz echat $USER1$/check_log -F /var/log/applications/appcrit.log -O /tmp/appcrit.log -q ?
}

# Define the log monitering service
define service{
name logfile-check ;
use generic-service ;
check_period 24x7 ;
max_check_attempts 1 ;
normal_check_interval 5 ;
retry_check_interval 1 ;
contact_groups admins ;
notification_options w,u,c,r ;
notification_period 24x7 ;
register 0 ;
}

define service{
use logfile-check
host_name localhost
service_description CritLogFile
check_command check_log
}
Last edited by HarengaWoltraz on Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarlosCarrancom

Re: How do I use Nagios to monitor a log file

Post by CarlosCarrancom »

For monitoring logs with Nagios, typically the log checker will return a warning only for newly discovered error messages each time it is invoked (so it must retain some state in order to know to ignore them on subsequent runs). Therefore I usually set:

max_check_attempts 1
is_volatile 1
This causes Nagios to send out the alert immediately, but only once, and then go back to normal.

My favorite log checker is logwarn, but I'm biased because I wrote it myself after not finding any existing ones that I liked. The logwarn package includes a Nagios plugin.