How to write a Java daemon

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
MurbiesWalto

How to write a Java daemon

Post by MurbiesWalto »

This will be a network application that will always (or near as always as I can manage) be listening on a given port.

I'm fairly new to Java, and very new to non-web server side programming, so I'd like to get feedback from the community on my assumptions and preliminary plans.

I've read about jsvc ( http://commons.apache.org/daemon/jsvc.html ) and am currently operating on the assumption that this is the "best" way to write a daemon in java for a linux box (likely running centOS).

Can nagios be configured to monitor whether or not my daemon is running, and to alert me or the sys admin when it isn't? (I assume yes, but I'm not a very talented sys admin type)

This will be an SMPP client app (or ESME app I guess) which is why I've chosen Java as it seems to be a very mature platform for SMPP. However, I know that it's more "traditional" to omegle.2yu.co write a daemon in C/C++. With modern Java, performing fairly uncomplicated tasks, am I likely to run into any major disadvantages?

What's the best way to manage deployment of new builds? Just stop the daemon and replace the binary as quickly as possible and restart?

Any other input omeglz echat would be greatly appreciated.