Best way to distribute checks on different time_periods?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
WEBudo

Best way to distribute checks on different time_periods?

Post by WEBudo »

I have some services that need to check twice a day during specific time periods all days of the week, so I defined a timeperiod that has 08:00-10:00,17:00-19:00 for each day of the week.
Other services need to be checked only once per day, on weekdays, from 08:00-14:00.

The services need to be monitored only once during each period, and checks must be spaced/spread evenly during those periods.
This is because each service queries different data on the same server, and each check can return results between 1 or 3 minutes.

So I changed the following value on nagios.conf:
max_service_check_spread=360 (So during the 08:00-14:00 timeperiod, all services get distributed evenly)

The problem I have is that the services that "fit" on the 08:00-10:00,17:00-19:00 window are not scheduled evenly, and most of the time outside the timeperiod.

I also understood from trial-failure that the "spreading of service checks" only happens when nagios starts (or reloads).

Is there any good way I can acomplish what I need? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!