Ongoing Network Issues

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
DennisSSebasiStephen

Ongoing Network Issues

Post by DennisSSebasiStephen »

Lately I have been having network and other odd slowdowns. What collection tools can I get installed to see what the problem is? I can't tell if it is DNS, QoS, bad router, or other issues.

A bit about my network:

TWC Roadrunner cable to a Motorola Surfboard 6141

Ooma Telo (I tried connecting the router first and there were VoIP dropouts and bad quality when it wasn't dropped, so I moved it back to direct connect to modem)

Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) providing routing and WiFi

Wired directly to the WNDR4500 are my home media devices: PS3, Roku, TiVo

Upstairs office is connected to WNDR4500 via DLink 500 Powerline adapter. That is where my NAS and Plex servers are, providing media for the whole house. Plex is a VMware Fusion VM and there is plenty of host resources available to set up a Linux VM or VMware appliance for monitoring up there.

Plex and DLNA streaming appear to be perfectly fine, as does Netflix, et al. from Roku and PS3.

WiFi (iOS or Mac) can be slow or stopped at times. Never disconnected, though. Wired can feel like it's slow, but far less often and I don't know if it is just me thinking it is slow. (Where "slow" can be either responsiveness/latency or throughput)

I tried swapping out DNS servers with Google and OpenDNS with no appreciable improvement.

What can I do/install on the network to see what the problem is? I tried Nagios and it needs SNMP, which the Netgear does not provide. Is there some set of Windows or Linux utilities I can constantly run to see packet drops vs. DNS requests vs. hardware downtime? I can do this with enterprise tools, but not with consumer level hardware.

I have some DD-WRT-able omegle shagle voojio Linksys routers if that helps, but they are not 802.11n.

I hope I'm not trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer.