check_disk misconfiguration

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mijohnst

check_disk misconfiguration

Post by mijohnst »

Today I noticed that I have a misconfiguration problem with how I check the local disk on all my UNIX servers. Apparently I've only been monitoring the local disk of my nagios server thinking that I was correctly monitoring the local disk of each server. I discovered this when the root partition on my nagios server reached the 80% threshold and all of a sudden all my servers got a disk warning. I noticed the same issue months ago with the swap check. Have I misconfigured something? Is there a way to check the local disk of a remote machine without having to install nrpe on each node?

Code: Select all

# 'check_local_disk' command definition
define command{
command_name check_local_disk
command_line $USER1$/check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
}
Last edited by mijohnst on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slansing

Re: check_disk misconfiguration

Post by slansing »

Can you give me an example of how you are running the check with all the arguments plugged in? It looks like you do not have it configured incorrectly, there is no field for NRPE, nor one for the target host address, take for example this definition:

Code: Select all

$USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -t 30 -c $ARG1$ $ARG2$
ARG1 in this case would be populated by check_disk, and ARG2 would have the (-a '-w -c') thresholds.
mijohnst

Post by mijohnst »

After researching a bit I've found the best way to monitor disk usage is with nrpe I guess. I just hate having to install it and configure it. I'll get over that. The next trick is to learn how to monitor LVM logical volumes and ZFS file systems. Any suggestions for that? I've found one that will monitor LVM Volume Groups, but I really would want to watch the logical volumes instead.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Yeah no problem, that check you were running was designed for NRPE, here is a link to a LVM volume space checker hosted on our exchange site:

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... vm/details

There are also a whole host of ZFS checks here:

http://exchange.nagios.org/index.php?op ... chword=ZFS