Less emails from Nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Jethro

Less emails from Nagios

Post by Jethro »

Hello,
I am currently monitoring about 40 hosts using NsClient. Each host has between 5-8 services running on each of them. I was trying to find a way to get less notifications because I'm currently getting about 200 a week. Is there anyway for if one service goes down on a host to make nagios do a check of all the services and just send one email saying which ones are down rather than sending 6 separate emails if there is a blip in internet connection. If anyone knows how to do this or has any other ideas on how to cut down the amount of emails but make sure I don't miss anything it would be really useful.
Thank you very much,
Jethro
slansing

Re: Less emails from Nagios

Post by slansing »

One way to do this would be to set up a host group or possibly just a host with these similar checks, then only set one of the services to alert, say...a service which with out a doubt will tell you that none of the others will function properly. Then have that service alert on the second or third check rather than the first. This way, if it is a momentary loss of reach ability the second or third check will show an "UP" state and you will not be alerted.