Best way to monitor disk usage?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
junglecom

Best way to monitor disk usage?

Post by junglecom »

I have some linux/windows servers and SANs where I would like to send an alert if used storage reaches a certain percentage.
What is the best tool I can use for this and how do I install/configure it?

I still do not understand what the process is to install plugins in nagios core 3.4.3.

Thank you all for your assistance
slansing

Re: Best way to monitor disk usage?

Post by slansing »

On the note of plugins please see the following from our installation guide:
6) Compile and Install the Nagios Plugins

Extract the Nagios plugins source code tarball.

cd ~/downloads

tar xzf nagios-plugins-1.4.16.tar.gz

cd nagios-plugins-1.4.16

Compile and install the plugins.

./configure --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios

make

make install
As far as monitoring disk usage, the easiest way in my opinion to set that up would be through NRPE active checks.. this guide will show you how to install the NRPE agent "NSClient++" on the windows system and also shows an example of monitoring disk usage:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/ ... ndows.html
junglecom

Post by junglecom »

What would the process be to install a single 3rd-party plugin? Install instructions are never included on the Nagios Exchange posts.

Ive seen NRPE, But is there another way without having to configure the host or installing an agent? for both windows and linux?

thank you again!
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

junglecom wrote:What would the process be to install a single 3rd-party plugin? Install instructions are never included on the Nagios Exchange posts.
Check out these documents for the procedure: http://library.nagios.com/library/produ ... e/manuals/
Ive seen NRPE, But is there another way without having to configure the host or installing an agent? for both windows and linux?

thank you again!
You could use snmp, but that would also involve setting it up on the client. NRPE is probably your best route.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
junglecom

Post by junglecom »

I managed to figure out the SNMP way. Looks like its working good. Was tricky to find the OID for each drive.

Thank you for all your help!