Can i set up multiple servers and have them report to 1

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
spunkybd

Can i set up multiple servers and have them report to 1

Post by spunkybd »

We are going to have multiple servers at different locations to monitor a huge network of resources and machines. Is it possible to have a master server with multiple sub servers to report data back to?

Thanks
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Can i set up multiple servers and have them report to 1

Post by sreinhardt »

You most certainly can! Considering it sounds like you have not implemented this quite yet, I will give you a few different ways to do what you are looking for. This is a great article on a couple of options that I will describe below. Nagios XI on its own does offer this as an integrated solution without any additional plugins or services as well. There are also numerous ways to distribute active and passive checks through nsca and nrpe.

Nagios Reflector is currently in beta, but is an excellent option for secured nagios checks that have to pass through the internet or other non-secured LANs. It can be configured with nrpe or nsca to communicate with an external site and pass check results that then can be collected by a centeralized nagios instance. This pdf does specifically related to XI but it should be possible to integrate with core.

Nagios Fusion: This allows for a read-only type interface, that can take a large number of XI and Core server results and correlate them in one location. Depending on the data you are looking for, it may be suggested to also route the data to an XI machine to keep an index of performance data and such.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Can i set up multiple servers and have them report to 1

Post by sreinhardt »

continued from previous post...

Mod_Gearman is a plugin and distributed monitoring solution that can involve multiple core servers or a single, but still allows you to distribute checks and load throughout various machines. This recently seems to be a community favorite

Multi-Nagios Tactical Overview System (MNTOS) provides a way to combine several nagios core servers in different locations through one interface, even when they otherwise may not be talking with each other.

Nagios DNX is an older distributed solution that has a few issues, but implements many things in a good way.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.