ADAPTIVE CHECK CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_COMMAND

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
javier.garces

ADAPTIVE CHECK CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_COMMAND

Post by javier.garces »

Hello
I would like to use the external command change_svc_check_command to change dicamically the warning and critical values of the checks
However it doesn´t work
I think the cause that it doesn't work is the modification introduced in the version 3.0.6 (Disabled adaptive check and eventhandler commands for security reasons ) as you can see in the URL:

http://www.nagios.org/projects/nagiosco ... ry/core-3x

I’m using the 3.2.1 version.
In this version and also in the latest version 3.4.3, I can see the next source code in the base/commands.c file

/* SECURITY PATCH - disable these for the time being */
switch(cmd) {
case CMD_CHANGE_GLOBAL_HOST_EVENT_HANDLER:
case CMD_CHANGE_GLOBAL_SVC_EVENT_HANDLER:
case CMD_CHANGE_HOST_EVENT_HANDLER:
case CMD_CHANGE_SVC_EVENT_HANDLER:
case CMD_CHANGE_HOST_CHECK_COMMAND:
case CMD_CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_COMMAND:
return ERROR;
}

I guess if I delete the above code, the external command change_svc_check_command will work

Is not recommended to enable these external command?
Why was it disabled in the version 3.0.6? This is not resolved in the latest version?
I haven´t found any offical documentation about this

Thanks
yancy

Re: ADAPTIVE CHECK CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_COMMAND

Post by yancy »

Hi javier.garces,

Have you tried restarting nagios after applying the command?

the only documentation i've seen so far is here:
http://old.nagios.org/developerinfo/ext ... and_id=108

Regards,

-Yancy
javier.garces

Post by javier.garces »

Hello Yancy
The command check that I want to use ( nrpe_CheckCPU ) it was already configured and working in nagios:

define service{
use generic-service,srv-pnp
host_name lgpx11
service_description CPU_Load_NRPE
check_command nrpe_CheckCPU!80!90
contacts contact1,contatc2
}

define command {
command_name nrpe_CheckCPU
command_line /opt/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -t 60 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 5666 -c CheckCPU -a warn=$ARG1$ crit=$ARG2$ time=20m time=10s time=4
}

I want to change dynamically the warning and critical values
I'm using this command to change the 80 and 90 values by 0 and 1 respectively but it doesn't work, it doesn't anything:

printf '[%lu] CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_COMMAND;lgpx11;CPU_Load_NRPE;nrpe_CheckCPU!0!1\n' `date +"%s"` > /dev/shm/nagios.cmd

I've tested a different external command: CHANGE_SVC_NOTIFICATION_TIMEPERIOD and it works, so I think that the
CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_COMMAND is disabled

Thanks
jsmurphy

Post by jsmurphy »

You would probably have to ask on the nagios development mailing list about this: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/lis ... gios-devel

The actual developers of Nagios core don't frequent this forum, if I had to take a wild stab in the dark as to why it was disabled... it would be either because:
a. It never worked in the first place.
or
b. It might have been a foundation change for Nagios v4.0 which is nearly 600 times more efficient but required significant stream lining of the internal processing and this may have been a casualty in that war.

At any rate I'm using my amazing powers of wild speculation and you would be better off asking the developers on the mailing list ;)
yancy

Post by yancy »

jsmurphy makes a good point that you may want to post to the devel-list on this one.

This feature looks to be abandoned, and i'm surprised there was/is the ability to update configurations without restarting Nagios.

Regards,

-Yancy
javier.garces

Post by javier.garces »

Thanks
I'll try to post the question to the devel-list
yancy

Post by yancy »

javier,

I would suggest posting to https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/lis ... gios-users since this is not a dev question directly ( at least not yet)

-Yancy