Problem with "Max concurrent service checks .." log

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
babz

Problem with "Max concurrent service checks .." log

Post by babz »

Hi,
I have problem with "Max concurrent service checks.." message in nagios archive files. I have to use check limit with 250. Since a few days (probably after I update nagios form 3.2.3 to 3.4.3) my nagios log files in archive directory grown from 15-20 MB to 200-280 MB, number of lines in file grown from 150K to 1,5-2 M.
I checked everything and reason is too much "Max concurrent service checks.." number of entries in log files. when I remove lines with this entries, log files makes smaller to less then 1 MB.

Any ideas to turn off this entries ? I really don't need them.

I use CentOS 5.8, nagios 3.4.3, also I check 660 hosts and 1750 services.

BTW
I use check limit to 250 because my server doesn't have enough resources (virtual machine) and I plan to migrate to physical one. Can you suggest me what parameters should this server have to ?
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Problem with "Max concurrent service checks .." log

Post by abrist »

You could create and cron a script that reverse greps the entries and rewrites the files. Rather than limiting your checks with a hard cap of 250, you may want to increase the time between checks to reduce the number of logged errors.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.