Service Escalation Issue

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
semmyson@gmail.com

Service Escalation Issue

Post by semmyson@gmail.com »

Hi,

I'm running Nagios Core 3.3.1 and have a specific need in regard to alert notifications.
The constraints is that a certain contact only needs to get notified on a Critical state alert and this only once until the state changes.

I'm using service escalations for this as the warning alerts should keep sending out until the issue has been resolved.

The Service escalation cfg has been set up with first_notification and last_notification set to 1 (as the alert only needs to be send out once).
The escalation_options has been set to critical only.

The problem that I'm experiencing is that this only works if the state of the service go's from 'ok' to 'critical', if the alert changes from warning to critical then the escalation doesn't seems to work.

Is this by design? If so what would be a good method for defining escalations for certain services to be send to a specific contact only once and only if the state is critical.

Cheers,
Semmy
slansing

Re: Service Escalation Issue

Post by slansing »

Can you show us your escalation definition as it is shown in the config file?
gshergill

Post by gshergill »

Hi semmyson,

Just a quick note - I'm not sure but the reason the escalation isn't working from warning to critical may be because your last_notification is set to 1.

I have a similar setup and I have the last_notification as 0, so no matter how many warnings have been sent out prior to critical, the escalation still works.

To ensure only one CRITICAL notification is sent from the escalation I set the notification_interval as being 0 in the escalation definition.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Gary Shergill
slansing

Post by slansing »

Good points gshergill, let's see what he comes up with.