Fetching data from a isolated remote server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
tzemljak

Fetching data from a isolated remote server

Post by tzemljak »

Hi all,
we have ServerA( Debian) that serves as Nagios host, and ServerB( CentOS) that should report to ServerA.
ServerB has a working installation of NRPE that reports standard sensor feedback to ServerA.
ServerB should report results from a custom sensor that does a curl query to localhost ( curl localhost/mws/platform/status ).
ServerB's web server is ( for security reasons ) configured so it only accepts queryes from localhost, we cannot expose ServerB to network because component that curl would query isn't just read-only , it can modify the system..

I can write a sensor that would run on ServerB and do the curl query, but i'm not sure how to transmit results to ServerA , ServerA can't query ServerB directly because of above mentioned apache configuration.
Can you suggest me a way to transmit data to ServerA, or enable ServerA to query ServerB directly, without exposing it to rest of internet.
Thank you in advance.
tzemljak

Re: Fetching data from a isolated remote server

Post by tzemljak »

Solved by using NRPE. Thanks.