Nagios NRPE in VMware Workstation monitoring

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
psyllex

Nagios NRPE in VMware Workstation monitoring

Post by psyllex »

Hello again. I have Nagios running on 3 machines. I am using one as the NRPE server and monitoring the other two. There are two machines that are physical (one containing the NRPE server) and one that is virtual that is actually running on the physical machine that I am running. I am having a problem with that VM showing "DOWN" in my <ipaddress>/nagios of the NRPE server. When I open a browser and put in the ipaddress of the VM running NRPE (not through the NRPE server) I get readings that it's UP and running just fine. Is this just a problem with me running NRPE on a physical machine that also holds a VM that has NRPE running on it? I would think since they both have separate IP addresses that this would not be the case. Any help would be appreciated.
slansing

Re: Nagios NRPE in VMware Workstation monitoring

Post by slansing »

that VM showing "DOWN" in my <ipaddress>/nagios of the NRPE server.
So for this system, you are running a full Nagios Core installation and you are unable to reach the web UI? Or a check running on one of your other Nagios servers is showing it down?

No you should not have a conflict by installing NRPE on your physical machine, and also on the VM running on it.
psyllex

Post by psyllex »

Just to map it out. A-has Nagios Core, NRPE Server, B-has Nagios Core, NRPE, C(vm)-has Nagios Core and NRPE.

On A through the Nagios monitoring on the <ipaddress>/nagios which shows all 3 machines (localhost(A) and B and C(vm) it says that C is down....even though when I switch to a new browser page and monitor just C (not through another machine) but using <ipaddress for C>/nagios ; it says that C is up and running fine.

So although the VM is running just fine when I view it by itself. If I try and view it through the NRPE server, it will say it's down even though it isn't. I hope that makes some sense.
psyllex

Post by psyllex »

There actually may be an issue with my VM I didn't bridge it to the network so that maybe the problem.
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

On (C) have you set the allowed_hosts directive in /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg to the ip address of your nrpe server?
Additionally, what check are you running against (C)?

EDIT: Just missed your last post there, if it was behind a nat, that very well might be your problem.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
psyllex

Post by psyllex »

Yes people....I'm a little bit screwy today. I didn't bridge the NAT and that was the problem. Thanks for the help!