NRPE not returning status info

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jeremy.garman

NRPE not returning status info

Post by jeremy.garman »

I have several Windows 2008 servers running the latest NSClient++ agent, and they are all working fine, and displaying metric-related info in the Status Information column of the Nagios server Services view.
I have several other servers, these are RHEL 6.2, running the latest NRPE agent, and they are all working fine (and tested by failing client-monitored services, and have a corresponding Critical alert generated by Nagios), but none of them display any info at all in the Status Information column of the Nagios server Services view, only the NRPE agent version. I've double checked my host and service configurations with all the templates that I used, and checked with online host and service definition examples, and they seem fine... and yet, no Status Information data. What's up with that? I've attached a screen shot of what I see on the Nagios console. Below are examples of host and service definitions for RHEL 6.2 servers for which no Status Information is displayed. Any ideas?

define host{
use linux-server
host_name lmprodwa1.lmgroup.com
alias lmprodwa1
address 192.168.115.69
}

define service{
use generic-service
host_name lmprodwb3.lmgroup.com
service_description CPU Load
check_command check_nrpe!check_load
}
Attachments
nagiosNPREstatus.jpg
gshergill

Re: NRPE not returning status info

Post by gshergill »

Hi jeremy.garman,

I would recommend checking your commands.cfg and make sure it includes the -c before $ARG1$, as show below:

Code: Select all

define command {
       command_name     check_nrpe
       command_line     /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -t 30 -c $ARG1$
}
Also check from the command line that it works:

Code: Select all

./check_nrpe -H host.domain -c check_load
OK - load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.02|load1=0.000;15.000;30.000;0; load5=0.050;10.000;25.000;0; load15=0.020;5.000;20.000;0; 
I've noticed that missing the "-c" in the command but including the check_load only returns the NRPE version number.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Gary Shergill
jeremy.garman

Post by jeremy.garman »

Brilliant! Thanks Gary, that did the trick!

- Jeremy
slansing

Post by slansing »

Thank you for the contribution Gary! And glad to hear it fixed your issue.