Mail Notifications

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
lancegaydon

Mail Notifications

Post by lancegaydon »

I am definately considered a noobie when it comes to Linux but I am somewhat capable of getting around. I installed Nagios Core onto Suse 11.3. It is up and running and I am monitoring some windows boxes and switches. I am kind of struggling with getting the email notifications running. I installed Nagios according to the quick start guide. Then went into the contacts.cfg and changed the email address to mine. But I do not get emails. How can I check my Linux/Nagios setup to make sure I am setup to send emails?

Thanks in advance.
burn5y

Re: Mail Notifications

Post by burn5y »

I would also like to know how to do this! Please help!
tonyyarusso

Post by tonyyarusso »

My suspicion is that this would be a SuSE issue rather than a Nagios one, so you'll probably be best served by using your operating system's support community first. (I don't even know what mail server opensuse uses, and I can't find anything remotely useful from a quick look at their documentation site...)
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
burn5y

Post by burn5y »

Hi,

I am running Nagios Core with VShell on Ubuntu 10.10. I have worked my way through the installation guide found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postfix and my contact.cfg file is setup with a email address that is hosted on our MS Exchange server. Am I missing something here because I am not receiving any notifications even when I try and force one through from Nagios.

I am a newbie when it comes to Linux so am amazed I have got this far. Your help with greatly appreciated as this is the last thing I need to get working on Nagios.

Many thanks in advance! :)

UPDATE: Looking in the log I see this: (email address has been changed but real one does exist)

[11-11-2010 15:26:06] Warning: Attempting to execute the command "/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: RECOVERY\n\nService: Citrix Encryption Service\nHost: Citrix XenApp Server\nAddress: 192.168.xx.xx\nState: OK\n\nDate/Time: Thu Nov 11 15:26:06 GMT 2010\n\nAdditional Info:\n\nCitrix Encryption Service: Started\n" | /bin/mail -s "** RECOVERY Service Alert: Citrix XenApp Server/Citrix Encryption Service is OK **" department@domain.org.uk" resulted in a return code of 127. Make sure the script or binary you are trying to execute actually exists...
burn5y

Post by burn5y »

I am now past this error. I not just get a notification that a notification has been sent by Nagios.

I have two contact setup and the notifications show the correct info but neither account is recieving any mail.

I can telnet to the exchange server on my network (which is where both mailboxes are held).

Basically, I need help with sending email notifications from Nagios on Ubuntu 10.10 to an exchange mailbox on the same network.

All guidance greatly appreciated!
burn5y

Post by burn5y »

I done this now.
taelee94

Post by taelee94 »

I'm new to nagios and to Linux also:) Reading from similar discussion threads on other forum, if you manage your own Exchange server, you just need to add your nagios server to open relay in your Exchange server. My situation, however, is little different. Our company has just out-sourced our Exchange mail and it's hosted by third party and they don't have open relay features on hosted Exchange mail.

Has anyone seen a similar problem like mine? What do you need in order to get the email notification send to hosted Exchange server?

Thanks in advance.

Tae