Do Not display Service Check in Web Interface

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mmartin

Do Not display Service Check in Web Interface

Post by mmartin »

Hello All,

Are there any directives that can be used for a Service Check that would prevent the Check from displaying on the Web Interface?
I have a check that I want to continue to run but I would like it to NOT be displayed in the Web GUI.

Is this possible? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Matt
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Do Not display Service Check in Web Interface

Post by abrist »

If you do not want to be notified or have the check appear in the interface, it seems like this is perfect use case for a cron job instead of a service check.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
mmartin

Post by mmartin »

Hey abrist, thanks for the reply!

Yea, that's how I have it setup currently (i.e. using cron with NSCA). I guess keeping it like that is the easier way to go...

What I was thinking, and the reason I had asked was, I was going to create a secondary "Service Check" for the one that's setup
in cron now, and I was thinking of having it execute the command using NRPE instead. But I guess the less "moving" parts the better.

I was just worried about something happening to the crontab entries since so many users use the server, I didn't want it getting deleted
accidentally or what not. But I guess the way I have it now, using cron and NSCA is the best way to go...

Thanks Again for the reply,
Matt
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

No problem. Nagios already uses cron extensively, so if your users are all thumbs and root, they can do sooo much more damage than screw up just a few custom crons. I have a habit of writing all my custom crons from a script saved in the /root home directory. That way I can quickly add them back if something *bad* happens. I do the same thing with odd/unique system configs. I hate redoing work.
Smart, not hard - the lazy admin is either stellar or horrible. Cheers.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
mmartin

Post by mmartin »

Ok cool, thanks again for the input...

I did a backup of cron this morning for that very reason!

Thanks Again,
Matt