Nagios StatusMap

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
BiFo

Nagios StatusMap

Post by BiFo »

Hi,
Im running Nagios Core 3.2.3 on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) with aroud 61 Hosts.
I've set up the Nagios StatusMap with "Circular (Marked Up)" Layout Method, and all was fine until i made this change:
In two different hosts, i've set up two differnt parents (for each one).
After that, some lines start to pass over the host icons (see image below).
As you can see on the image; theres no need for Nagios to do that because changing the places of some parents would fix that. How can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Bye!

PD: Sorry for my poor English.
Attachments
Nagios Map.JPG
Nagios Map.JPG (133.12 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
BiFo

Re: Nagios StatusMap

Post by BiFo »

Hi!
Another Question...
My Nagios StatusMap has about 60 Hosts and some of them are to close to each others, and this cause the Hostname not being visible.
Its posible that Nagios StatusMap to separate the hosts a little more to avoid this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a screen...
Attachments
Nagios StatusMap.JPG
Nagios StatusMap.JPG (32.6 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
BiFo

Post by BiFo »

Hi!
Sorry to insist with this issue but i havent found a way to resolve this.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Bye.
jchivian

Post by jchivian »

A couple of things to realize.

1) Systems are drawn around the arcs in alphabetical order. You can arrange children of the same parent by changing their "Nagios name" accordingly.
2) The lines connecting a parent to it's child will never pass through the arc of the grandparent. (The map would become unusable if they did.) The graphing logic will therefore "squeeze" a systems descendants into an arc small enough to insure this doesn't happen.
3) The way to "get around" the issue described in #2 (and spread the systems back out around the circle) is to "split" the parent. (See the attached image.)

Splitting a parent simply means having multiple Nagios definitions for the same physical device (A and B in my case). Consider the following two host definitions (two names for the same system) and see the effect on the map segment. Sure it "looks like" two routers but YOU know better. Then you can evenly split the children between the two (some name A as the parent and some name B as the parent) to help spread them back out.
#==== HOST Definitions

define host{
use generic-switch
host_name iron-edge-net60a
alias Net60 Edge Router
address 10.18.62.4
icon_image router.png
statusmap_image router.gd2
hostgroups routers
}

define host{
use generic-switch
host_name iron-edge-net60b
alias Net60 Edge Router
address 10.18.62.4
icon_image router.png
statusmap_image router.gd2
hostgroups routers
}
In my case you are actually looking at two split systems. The first ,iron-edge-net60, is split into two parts (A and B), and the second, smf-edge, is split into four parts (asia, europe, states, and stratascale). If I unsplit them, becuase of the behavior of #2 above, the one lines up right behind the other and everything gets squeezed back into that compressed state that you're seeing.

Finally keep in mind that the circular graph is really only useful in small environments. The techniques described above can extend the usability into somewhat larger arenas, but once you get into hundreds of systems it gets too compressed no matter what you do.
Attachments
example showing split systems
example showing split systems
NagiosGraph.tiff (97.7 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
jchivian

Post by jchivian »

In your first image, look at the lines drawn from the second and third routers out to their children. In the first case the lines will not enter the arc of "localhost" and in the second case they will not enter the arc of the first. The descendants of those systems are squeezed around accordingly, despite their number, and thereby reduces the slice width that ANY single system is allowed to have.
BiFo

Post by BiFo »

Well, thanks for your help!
It seems you'r right, it will be impossible to keep the Map perfectly fine as the network gets bigger and bigger.
I've decided to go with NagVis, its a little difficult to set it up but it has some great stuff.

Bye.