Email-Notification

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
tach

Email-Notification

Post by tach »

Hi there,

now i'm searching a bunch of hours to get mail notification working.
I want to get notified by mail when a service alert appears.
For that i created an contact with my mail address as recipient and and bound it into nagios.
I altered the notify-service-by-email command by appending " -- -r myFromAccount@myDomain".
After that I unfornunally saw that neither "/usr/bin/mail" nor "/usr/bin/mailx" are able to hand over a password to my NON-open-relay smtp-server.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the only way to get this working is via telnet command, right?

If it's so, please can u give me a short example with an account and a password?

KR
Andre
slansing

Re: Email-Notification

Post by slansing »

I altered the notify-service-by-email command by appending " -- -r myFromAccount@myDomain".
Was there a specific reason you did this? You should be able to leave those definitions default and simply add an address to your contact, that address could even be linked to a mailing list once it gets past your exchange server.
tach

Post by tach »

I did this to send emails from a specific from emailadress.
once it gets past your exchange server.
That's the problem!
I first have to pass the server.
As i wrote our company mail server isn't an open relay.
I have to hand over a valid from-user account and a pass for smtp auth( mayby some more infos).
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Are the messages being sent to addresses on the Exchange server? If so you shouldn't need to pass credentials, if not, why push then through the Exchange server, why not deliver them directly?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com