Implied Inheritance

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
al_capitano1

Implied Inheritance

Post by al_capitano1 »

Hi guys,

I know this has been mentioned few time but is there any plan to extend Implied Inheritance bit more (specially from host to server definition) - things like max_check_attempts, check_interval and retry_interval definied in just one place per host would save lot of time and effort..

Many thanks,
Tomasz
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Implied Inheritance

Post by abrist »

POssibly, but this is very possible now with service templates, though that is configured on the service objects, and not the host object.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
al_capitano1

Post by al_capitano1 »

but that's not the same.. what if we have multiple groups of servers, say production, dev, uat and a requirement to have different notification and check intervals for them - this means that I need to create 3 hosts/services templates and make sure I use the correct one each time, not to mention number of host groups that has to be created to easy the admin burden - not big issue with 10s servers but it's just messy and time consuming if we are talking about 100s of them...
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

You can apply more that one template to a host/service, and you can apply one template to another.

There really is no reason you cannot leave things like max_check_attempts, check_interval and retry_interval off of the main templates and just apply a second template that has the correct attribute for production, dev, or uat
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
al_capitano1

Post by al_capitano1 »

Yes, that does make sense but it does not eliminate the need for having X number of services monitoring same thing. We already do this with host's templates and it's ok but we need to do the same thing with services which as I said is time consuming and does not make admin work easier.. I might be wrong but from my point of view extending the inheritance would eliminate this thing thus the reason for this post.

If there is another way to minimise the admin work and number of lines in config files then let me know.

Many thanks,
Tomasz
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

You can assign hostgroups to services and servicegroups to hosts. Does that solve your problem?
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
slansing

Post by slansing »

Yep, as eloyd mentioned, another option is using a tree of groups that will allow you to make a good amount of changes and see them take effect across your branched groups.