Nagios 4 Load issues on OS X 10.9

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
umd

Nagios 4 Load issues on OS X 10.9

Post by umd »

I have the same issue as in this post with two Nagios installation on OS X 10.9 with Nagios 4.0.6 & Nagios Plugins 2.0. The load nagios 4 is producing on these machines is really amazing ;-). I just reverted today to 3.5.1. To get an impression have a look at the attached PNG
Attachments
load_comp.png
tmcdonald

Re: Nagios 4 Load issues on OS X 10.9

Post by tmcdonald »

Can you run it with Core 4 and provide the following:

Code: Select all

ps -ef
free -m

so that we can get an idea of what all is running? Then, do the same with Core 3.5. We want to compare the two. In addition, your /var/log/messages log would be helpful. It may be easiest to zip all this up and PM it.
Former Nagios employee
umd

Post by umd »

Hello tmcdonald,

thanks for your reply and sorry that it had taken some time for my response. I did the testing an a different machine as I didn't want to mess around with my main monitoring system. The "testing" machine (17hosts 86 services) has far less checks but the effect is still very recognizable but clearly not as dramatic as it was on the production system (73 hosts 243services). The testing system is a Mac mini 6,1 with a Core i5 Ivy Bridge 2,5Ghz with 16GB RAM running Mac OS X 10.9.3 with Server.app. As the free -m command does not exits on this platform I posted a vm_stat as a substitute.

hope this helps.

Regards
Attachments
nagiosdebug.zip
(355.87 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Just to clearly identify the environment and potential causes: Are you using any addons or utils like mk_livestatus, check_mk, thruk, ndo, etc?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
umd

Post by umd »

no nothing like that. Only other service running on that machine is a cacti installation.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

I noticed that your graph is saying load percentage. Is that a load check or cpu percentage, because they are quite different. I do believe we have a possible mixture of a bug and systems seeing load increases due to the number of worker processes now. As for the graph, I just wanted to confirm exactly what we were looking at, as it is rather odd to label load as a percentage.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
umd

Post by umd »

Hi

here are the other graphs I can provide. hope this helps.

Henning
Attachments
graph_ucd_load.png
graph_ucd_cpu.png
graph_processor.png
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

The core devs came across a few issues with core that may be partially at fault for some of the load increases:
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/na ... a91e548dbc
You may want to try the code right from the master branch and then compare it to your current load results.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
umd

Post by umd »

Hi,

sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately the code did not change the load issues on my 10.9 testing machine.

Henning
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

How many workers do you have running at a time? One thing to note with core 4 vs core 3, is that while it no longer has to fork the entire process memory, it is able to more actively use the cpu due to having faster executing worker processes. This will somewhat artificially increase load values as more processes are active at the same time, and will definitely increase cpu usage if the amount of checks causes that. Let's get a general idea here:

Code: Select all

ps -ef | grep bin/nag
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.