Nagios 4.0.8 on Ubuntu 14.04.01 Server 64b

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
pma

Nagios 4.0.8 on Ubuntu 14.04.01 Server 64b

Post by pma »

First I would like to congratulate you guys on this awesome tool.
I manually installed the latest nagios version on my ubuntu server lts (14.04) 64b instead of using the "repo" one.
Really happy, doing a bunch of host and services checking.

I have email notifications on, and the only issue I encontered was duplicate emails per contact. Checked my contacts.cfg and everything seemed fine.... after digging deeper into your forum i found that this could actually be an issue with 2 nagios.cfg main PIDs running. After checking my server processes.... there it was 2 main pids running.

I'm using the default 4.0.8 nagios_init file on /etc/init.d/nagios. Service starts, stops and restarts fine manually.... but the pid does not auto-start on server reboot.
Reading more about I found that if a symlink from /etc/init.d/nagios to /etc/rcS.d/S99nagios, the service should start on server reboots. And it does, but it seems to be creating the 2 main nagios.cfg pids.

So, I'm faced:
1. unlink and the service won't auto start on server reboot, process manually needs to be started
or
2. link but it creates 2 main pid processes and 1 needs to be manually killed

Bith involve user interaction, kinda sucks :D Do you guys recommend a solution for this?
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Nagios 4.0.8 on Ubuntu 14.04.01 Server 64b

Post by abrist »

pma wrote:2. link but it creates 2 main pid processes and 1 needs to be manually killed
This does not seem right. Is this a vanilla install of ubuntu?
Was nagios core installed from repos first (and then removed)?
I do not think our source installer creates this symlink by default, so it may be a remnant of an earlier install. Or ubuntu is trying to do something *clever* . . .
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
pma

Post by pma »

Yes, this was a clean install standartd.
No, I skipped the "repos" and did a make install.
The symlink was created by me from the original 4.0.8 init.d nagios script, since the main pid does not start after reboot.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Could you post the initscript as you have it now? It should be setting a lock file and disallowing a second nagios process to start if that exists, but maybe something different happened on your system.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.