Log server installation

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
BanditBBS

Log server installation

Post by BanditBBS »

So, I'm finally getting around to installing our first server for Log Server. It will eventually be put into production and at least a 2nd server added. Any issue installing and using NSTI on the same machine? I'd just like to consolidate some of my servers.
2 of XI5.6.14 Prod/DR/DEV - Nagios LogServer 2 Nodes
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
tmcdonald

Re: Log server installation

Post by tmcdonald »

Well you know our official stance: Don't mix servers.

NSTI and Logserver can both work with snmp traps so there might be some conflict there. I'll pull a dev in on this for a more official answer.
Former Nagios employee
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

For the record, there would be very little if any overlap in the products, and is highly unlikely to cause issues. Officially as tmcd said, we don't suggest it, but do what you will. Also while log server can collect traps, it does not by default and since it doesn't yet, if ever, handle mibs it doesn't do a complete job of trap handling. We definitely have not tested them while installed on the same system internally.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

Ok, what about NSTI on the same box that I'll be offloading mysql and ndo2db to then?
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

We're still going to give the same answer that separation of all parts is best. Again, in terms of "can I do this", yep it definitely can be done. Will we still do our best to support it, yep as usual! But it does run the risk of putting you somewhat in a grey area. If you're going to do gearman and offload ndo\mysql, the nagios server is where I would put nsti, as it would have far less load than the ndo server, but depending on the size of install it could be a lot to add regardless.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

Fine, requesting two new servers :) . You can close this!