Listen on default port for syslog not possible?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
BWNet

Listen on default port for syslog not possible?

Post by BWNet »

Hi everybody,

I'm currently trying to set up a Nagios Log Server instance for logging our switch/router syslog output. My current problem is, that the default port Nagios Log Server is listening to for syslog is 5544. But by definition the default port for syslog is 514. I got plenty of switches that don't allow to alter the port for outgoing syslog messages. These switches will always use port 514. I tried to change the input file by replacing the "port => 5544" with "port => 514" but this doesn't seem to work. When I Save and Apply the Admin Overview only shows the remaining default ports : "Logstash is currently collecting locally on: ***.***.***.*** tcp: 2056, 2057, 3515"

Is there any way I can use well known ports with Nagios Log Server?
Last edited by BWNet on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Listen on default port for syslog not possible?

Post by Box293 »

This is covered in the help.

Click Help on the top bar
Click Administration Guide
Under General Use click Listening On Privileged Ports With Nagios Log Server
Click on the Listening-On-Privileged-Ports-With-Nagios-Log-Server.pdf which will show you how to do this.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
BWNet

Post by BWNet »

Hi,

thanks for the quick answer. This should solve my problem, but how do I access the virtual machine using ssh? I used the pre-configured virtual machine image but I don't know the credentials to logon via ssh...
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

root
nagiosls

These should be displayed on the console of the vm.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
BWNet

Post by BWNet »

Thanks, this solved my problem :-)
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Sweet