Problem with check_snmp external command error

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
blkprometheus

Problem with check_snmp external command error

Post by blkprometheus »

Hello,

I'm running Nagios 3.2.3 on CentOS 5.5. I'm receiving the following error when trying to monitor a Cisco 4510R and a Cisco ASA 5520: "External command error: Error in packet". When I run the command from the command line, here's the error I receive: ./check_snmp -H x.x.x.x -C public -o ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
External command error: Error in packet
Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
Failed object: RFC1213-MIB::ifOperStatus.1

I found an article in a google search an article which mentioned that for a Cisco gig switch, one should specify the port in this manner "ifOperStatus.10101, ifOperStatus.10102, etc. But this doesn't work for me. I get the same error message when I run this command against the 4510 and the ASA 5520.

Has anyone figured this out? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
pnewlon

Re: Problem with check_snmp external command error

Post by pnewlon »

Try using snmpwalk on the Nagios system to walk the MIB and find what you are looking for. If you use the -On switch and you have the correct MIB for the device in your MIB repository, you will see the form you need.

External command error: Error in packet
Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
Failed object: RFC1213-MIB::ifOperStatus.1

I found an article in a google search an article which mentioned that for a Cisco gig switch, one should specify the port in this manner "ifOperStatus.10101, ifOperStatus.10102, etc. But this doesn't work for me. I get the same error message when I run this command against the 4510 and the ASA 5520.