Nagios Core and web interface on different hosts

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
decibel83

Nagios Core and web interface on different hosts

Post by decibel83 »

Hi.
Is it possible to have Nagios Core installed in LAN and the classic web interface installed on another server in DMZ?
Thank you very much.
Bye!
slansing

Re: Nagios Core and web interface on different hosts

Post by slansing »

So you are trying to separate the web front end from the backend? I mean, theoretically, maybe? But that is definitely not commonplace, nor have I heard of someone trying to take that route before, nor would it work currently. What exactly is the purpose? Why not forward from a server, maybe a second core server in the DMZ, to your main out outside of it? If you cant reliably communicate with it, there would not even be a way to set up this so-called facelift.
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Nagios Core and web interface on different hosts

Post by abrist »

decibel83 wrote: Is it possible to have Nagios Core installed in LAN and the classic web interface installed on another server in DMZ?
I don't think so. The cgis need to be running on the same box as the core process.
You could leverage the json apis to create your own front end that is served from the dmz, but you would have to then create server code to run on the dmz, like some nodejs or php that writes status data out to mongo and reserves it . . . . or something.

Well, on second thought, lets not go to Camelot, 'tis a silly place.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.