NRPE problems

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cronk

NRPE problems

Post by cronk »

Hi, I'm new to Nagios.

I have a nagios server running and starting to explore the nrpe for the client servers that will be monitored.

I've installed the nrpe and plug-ins on the remote host and checked configuration and services if running properly. All is good on the remote host side. NRPE is also installed properly on the monitoring host.

When I try to do check_nrpe -H <ip_address_of_the_remote_host> from the nagios server, the /var/log/messages of the remote host says:

"Host <ip_address_of_the_nagios_server> is not allowed to talk to us"

IP tables are both off on both machines, no firewall between them too.

Openssl packages on both machines are of the same version.

What could be causing this?

Thanks
araiot

Re: NRPE problems

Post by araiot »

im also new in Nagios but i believe there is a "allow" file on the client server that you will need to allow the connection from the Nagios server.
you just need to enter the server IP
agriffin

Re: NRPE problems

Post by agriffin »

Yup, check out /etc/hosts.allow on the client server. If you have not already, you'll need to add the following line to that file (replace host with the relevant IP address or hostname):

Code: Select all

NRPE: host
If that worked, you'll want to re-enable your firewall and open the port with a command like this:

Code: Select all

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 5666 -j ACCEPT