nagios port forward to monitor remote host

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
shoeb

nagios port forward to monitor remote host

Post by shoeb »

Hi ,

i have installed nagios for monitoring windows host on LAN and WAN, my nagios server is perfectly showing LAN windows server status but could be able to get Remote host data in nagios.

Please let me know how we configure to allow nagios port in fireall(shorewall,linux) to get the data from remote servers.

Thanks
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Re: nagios port forward to monitor remote host

Post by jdalrymple »

This depends on what method you're using to monitor your hosts. I'll assume you're using nrpe. You'll need to port forward from an external facing port to port 5666 on your internal host.

Here are the instructions to do that from

http://shorewall.net/FAQ.htm#PortForwarding

Code: Select all

If you want to forward requests directed to a particular address ( external-IP ) on your firewall to an internal system:

#ACTION SOURCE DEST                                   PROTO       DEST PORT     SOURCE  ORIGINAL
#                                                                               PORT    DEST.
DNAT    net    loc:local-IP-address>[:local-port]     protocol    port-number   -       external-IP
If you want to monitor more than 1 host on your protected network you'll have to create multiple port forwards and use multiple external ports on your WAN IP. If you do that you will have to modify your nrpe check command to include port information with the -p flag.

Let us know if this helps or you need further instruction.