grok parsefalure

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
WillemDH

grok parsefalure

Post by WillemDH »

Hello,

We started sending ourbrocade sanswitch syslog messages to NLS last week. It seems some things don't get parses like it should, so I guess I'll have to start writing my first filter.

I made a specific port for all syslog messages from all our Brocade switches like this:

Code: Select all

syslog {
    type => 'syslog-brocade'
    port => 5547
}
See screenshot for a view of a message where I get a grokparsefailure. Could I please get some help to filter some values from the messages. The message looks like this:

<188>mrt 02 08:51:25 10.54.97.17 raslogd: 2015/03/02-08:51:25, [TS-1001], 1545, WWN 10:00:00:05:33:72:f5:4f | FID 128, WARNING, AC_FSENC04_SANSWB02, NTP Query failed: 256.
As we don't get a source ip. Source ip is the minimum requirement I would need to retrieve. In the above example message '10.54.97.17' would be the source ip. Even better would be if we were able to make a seperate field of the WWN of the interface in the above example WWN '10:00:00:05:33:72:f5:4f'

I guess the filter would have to start with

if [type] == 'syslog-brocade' {
    grok {
        match => [ 'message', '%{?}']
    }
    date {
        match => [ 'timestamp', 'dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss Z' ]
    }
    mutate {
                        ??
    }
}
Thanks for any help creating this filter for our Brocade switches.

Willem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nagios XI 5.8.1
https://outsideit.net
tmcdonald

Re: grok parsefalure

Post by tmcdonald »

Looks to be pretty close to a standard syslog format. Have you looked at the Grok Debugger?

https://grokdebug.herokuapp.com/
Former Nagios employee
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

hey Trevor,

I'm sorry but this whole grok thing is really new to me.

I've tried some things, but i'm not sure if I'm heading in the right direction..
Should I try to make a complete match?

grok {
        match => [ %{SYSLOG5424PRI}mrt 03 %{TIME} %{IP} raslogd: 20%{DATESTAMP}, %{SYSLOG5424SD}, 4884, WWN %{IP} | FID 128, WARNING, AC_FSENC03_SANSWB02, NTP Query failed: 256.]
    }
}
or should I use add_field to add the fields I need?

grok {
        add_field => { "WWN %{IPV6}" => "%{IPV6}" }
    }
}
Thanks for guiding me in the right direction? Why would the default syslog filter not get applied by the way?
Nagios XI 5.8.1
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

Willem,

I am by no means a grok expert, but the following tutorial helped me get a handle on it: http://logstash.net/docs/1.4.2/filters/grok. Please give that a read - it will answer your questions regarding how to build your filter.
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

Well I've been trying to make the correct filter for some time, learned alot about grok, but I'm stuck at the hostname at the moment. So this log:

<190>mrt 04 11:06:50 10.54.22.40 raslogd: 2015/03/04-11:06:50, [SNMP-1005], 2890, WWN 10:00:00:05:33:53:42:4c | FID 128, INFO, DGOG_FSENC02_SANSWB01, SNMP configuration attribute, Trap recipient port 2 , has changed from 1162 to 162.
With this filter:

<[\d]+>[a-z]+ [\d]+ [\d\:]+ %{IPV4:ip}%{GREEDYDATA:program}: %{YEAR}\/%{MONTHNUM}\/%{MONTHDAY}-%{TIME}%{GREEDYDATA}WWN %{IPV6:wwn}%{GREEDYDATA}%{LOGLEVEL:severity_label}\, %{HOSTNAME}
Gives:

{
  "ip": [
    [
      "10.54.22.40"
    ]
  ],
  "program": [
    [
      " raslogd"
    ]
  ],
  "YEAR": [
    [
      "2015"
    ]
  ],
  "MONTHNUM": [
    [
      "03"
    ]
  ],
  "MONTHDAY": [
    [
      "04"
    ]
  ],
  "TIME": [
    [
      "11:06:50"
    ]
  ],
  "HOUR": [
    [
      "11"
    ]
  ],
  "MINUTE": [
    [
      "06"
    ]
  ],
  "SECOND": [
    [
      "50"
    ]
  ],
  "GREEDYDATA": [
    [
      ", [SNMP-1005], 2890, ",
      " | FID 128, "
    ]
  ],
  "wwn": [
    [
      "10:00:00:05:33:53:42:4c"
    ]
  ],
  "severity_label": [
    [
      "INFO"
    ]
  ],
  "HOSTNAME": [
    [
      "DGOG"
    ]
  ]
}
The problem is that as we use underscores in hostnames, the grok pattern HOSTNAME only reads the first part of the hostname. I read something about custom grok patterns we can save to a file. Where on the NLS would I be able to create custom grok patterns?

It seems my above grok filter is kind of working (except for the hostname), as NLS now has a separate field for program, severity_label and wwn. But the syslog messages still have the tag _grokparefailure. What else would I need to do to get rid of the groparsefailure tags?

Thanks.

Willem
Nagios XI 5.8.1
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

The grok-patterns file is in the location below:

/usr/local/nagioslogserver/logstash/patterns/grok-patterns
You can change the HOSTNAME pattern from:

HOSTNAME \b(?:[0-9A-Za-z][0-9A-Za-z-]{0,62})(?:\.(?:[0-9A-Za-z][0-9A-Za-z-]{0,62}))*(\.?|\b)
To:

HOSTNAME \b(?:[_0-9A-Za-z][0-9A-Za-z-]{0,62})(?:\.(?:[_0-9A-Za-z][0-9A-Za-z-]{0,62}))*(\.?|\b)
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

Thanks ssax,

I've replaced the HOSTNAME as you suggested. I keep getting grokparesefailures though and my hostname with underscores still isn't recognized..

HOSTNAME \b(?:[0-9A-Za-z][0-9A-Za-z-]{0,62})(?:\.(?:[0-9A-Za-z][0-9A-Za-z-]{0,62}))*(\.?|\b)
Do I need to restart a service or something after editing a grok pattern?

Grtz

Willem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nagios XI 5.8.1
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

After adding a filter at Administration > Global Configuration > Add Filter, you will need to Apply Configuration for the changes to take effect. Please verify that the changes have taken effect by running the following command on each node:

cat /usr/local/nagioslogserver/logstash/etc/conf.d/500_filters.conf
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

jolson,

I edited a grok pattern, not an input or a filter. Please read ssax post.

The problem is that my hostnames have underscores...

But even after replacing the default HOSTNAME I still get grokparsefailures. In the meantime I rebooted the servers and I still get grokparsefailures and the HOSTNAME is still not recognized..

Grtz

Willem
Nagios XI 5.8.1
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

Looks like I need some more coffee. :oops:

You will likely need to do a logstash restart after applying the custom pattern:

service logstash restart
Please let us know if that works out for you.

Edit: Just saw your update, I am testing in my lab currently.
Twits Blog