Information required for Nagios Mobile

Information and discussions relating to the Nagios Mobile addon.

Information required for Nagios Mobile

Postby lsazzad » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:56 am

I am little bit confused with Nagios Mobile concept. Is Nagios Mobile is only for a light GUI platform or should we do VPN login through android apps to my Nagios Core? For example my Nagios Core is having local IP address & i want to login from my home. Is it possible to install any apps from Android & after then installing Nagios Mobile or any other patch? After that i can login or see my network status directly from outside WAN?
Regards
Sazzad
lsazzad

Re: Information required for Nagios Mobile

Postby tmcdonald » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:49 am

It's a lightweight GUI, so just as with anything else on a non-public network you will need to VPN (or SSH tunnel, or whatever other method you prefer) to make use of it.
Former Nagios employee
tmcdonald

Postby lsazzad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:26 am

Hi tmcdonald,

Thanks for your kind reply. Would like to share a step by step method for this? Actually i am a newbie in nagios & pretty much not aware of that. It would be highly appreciable if you share a specific SSH tunnel/VPN with andriod apps & my nagios server of public network. So, that i can have a look over my network from outside of my office network.
Regards
Sazzad
lsazzad

Postby jdalrymple » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:25 am

You need 1 of 2 things:

Option 1) Present your Nagios mobile web UI to Internet. Doing this is ill-advised and at a minimum security should be very well thought out for this. Use https to secure your communications and make sure all users that can login have strong passwords to prevent wrongdoing on your interface. Again - this option is not recommended.

Option 2) Gain remote access to your internal network. This can be done in many ways, but that is dependent upon your Networking infrastructure and your company's network administrators and policies. To get advice on how to achieve this goal speak with your network administrators and/or the vendor of your network firewall(s).

Option 2 is the one tmcdonald recommended.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Postby lsazzad » Wed May 06, 2015 2:58 am

Sorry for my late reply. I was thinking that in android market there are few nagios apps available & i can sync my nagios server with that. Regarding your option 1 i am little bit confused about that. Would like to describe a little bit about that?

Also please share some possibilities to sync Nagios server with android apps?
Regards
Sazzad
lsazzad

Postby jdalrymple » Wed May 06, 2015 9:28 am

lsazzad wrote:Regarding your option 1 i am little bit confused about that. Would like to describe a little bit about that?

I'm referring to simply hanging your Nagios server out on the public routed network to be accessed by anyone with an Internet connection. Again - this is ill advised because if not done with a lot of security considerations in place you will be presenting your private network data to the world.

lsazzad wrote:Also please share some possibilities to sync Nagios server with android apps?

The best place to get this info is the Google Play store.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Postby tmcdonald » Wed May 06, 2015 9:33 am

Just to add on a bit to jdalrymple's post:

For option 1 you will likely need to talk to your network team. Your Nagios server would then need both an internal and an external IP - one for doing internal checks and one for external mobile access.

Regarding the app, we don't have any that we endorse so we can't really suggest which to use.
Former Nagios employee
tmcdonald

Return to Nagios Mobile